Safer Bariatric Patient Care: Hausted Procedure Stretchers and Surgi-Chairs
Despite the myriad of diets and weight loss plans that are now available, the percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity is 70.7% (2013-2014) with over one-third (34.9% or 78.6 million) of U.S. adults classified as being obese/bariatric. Center for Disease Control: National Center for Health Statistics.
Safely caring for, transporting and treating obese patients have become major challenges for healthcare professionals.
Lifting, pushing and carrying can result in strains, sprains and sometimes even severe injury.
This leads to time off and an increase in workers compensation costs.
According to the most recent Bureau of Labor Statistics data, OSHA Safe Patient Handling Facts, workers in hospitals suffer injuries and illnesses at nearly twice the national average rate.
Hospitals had an incidence rate of 6.8 nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses per 100 full-time workers in 2011, compared with 3.5 per 100 in all U.S. industries combined. The incidence rate for these injuries among nursing aides, orderlies, and attendants across the healthcare industry was nearly four times that, at 4.4 per 100 full-time workers.
In 2011, nearly 50 percent of the reported injuries and illnesses among nurses and nursing support staff were musculoskeletal disorders.
To help reduce the potential for these injuries, patient transfers, repositioning and everyday patient care requires products that have been specifically designed for the safe handling of obese patients. Since 1949, Hausted, a Graham-Field family brand, has been designing and manufacturing patient handling solutions that allow for the safe transport and treatment of bariatric patients.
Hausted Standard Features
Patient and Caregiver safety are always paramount at Hausted. That is why we incorporate critical safety features that protect your patients and staff every day. Hausted Procedure Stretchers and Surgi-Chairs include features like:
- 3-position side rails that allow optimum patient access without compromising safety
- Brake and Steer pedals positioned to prevent awkward body movements
- Pneumatic Assist Back Rests for easy positioning of patients
- Center Track Steering for superb mobility and turning ease
- Powered Surgi-Stretchers, Treatment and Exam Stretchers, Bariatric Stretchers and Surgi-Chairs to reduce the amount of manual patient handling
Bariatric-Friendly Weight Capacity
Caring for Bariatric Patients requires increased weight capacity and features. Hausted offers several models of Stretchers and Surg-Chairs that are ideal for the transport and care of Bariatric Patients:
- Featuring a 720 lb Weight Capacity (evenly distributed) this Bariatric Stretcher is lightweight and maneuverable and fits easily through doorways. It is much lighter than other bariatric units and beds. The extra-wide patient surface (32 in/81 cm) provides greater patient comfort for extended stays. Powered controls for Head, Foot, Hi-low and Trendelenburg / Reverse Trendelenburg positioning are standard and allows for easier patient re-positioning and stretcher position.
- The 800 lb Weight Capacity (evenly distributed – 462DPAST model) AirGlide Stretcher is equipped with powder coated rails and a clear sealer coat with Ion Technology for easy cleaning when supporting patients through induction, transport, treatment and recovery functions. Full-length patient protection with Pneumatic Assist side rails that are longer for enhanced patient safety.
- Featuring a 720 lb Weight Capacity (evenly distributed) and extra width this stretcher is designed to be a multi-tasking stretcher and chair ideal for the ER, PACU, OR and L&D departments. Its multiple uses help eliminate patient transfers providing cost and time savings and enhanced safety for both patients and staff. Powered positioning and adjustment system features a hand held pendant for use by the patient or care provider.
- The Surgi-Chair features a 500 lb Weight Capacity (evenly distributed) and is a mobile, single surgical platform for EYE/ENT, plastic surgery and other procedures in a chair configuration. Designed to improve case turnaround time and streamline patient handling, the ESC can be used pre-op through post-op, eliminating multiple patient transfers. Powered controls easily maneuver head and leg sections for patient comfort and overall height adjustment.
3 Keys to Success in Safer Bariatric Patient Handling
- Make sure all caregivers who come into contact with any stretchers or procedure chairs know what the weight capacity of the equipment is. Hausted Stretchers and Surgi-Chairs will function correctly only when utilized within the labeled weight capacity.
- Follow all facility protocols regarding no-lift policies. Improper lifting and / or transfer of bariatric patients can result in a severe injury to the caregiver or patient.
- Have an adequate inventory of bariatric capable products.With the increase in the number of bariatric patients, ensure that your facility has enough equipment to handle current and potential cases. You do not want to risk using equipment that in is not rated for use with bariatric patients.
Lawrence de la Haba is Senior Vice President of Business Development at Graham-Field.
About GF Health Products, Inc.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, with more than 300 US-based employees, GF Health Products, Inc. is a major manufacturer of healthcare products for the acute care, extended care, homecare and primary care markets. The Graham-Field family of brands includes Basic American Medical Products, Everest & Jennings, Grafco, Hausted, John Bunn, Labtron, Lumex and Lumiscope. Visit www.grahamfield.com or call 770-368-4700. Everest & Jennings, Graham-Field, and Traveler are trademarks of GF Health Products, Inc. © 2016, GF Health Products, Inc., all rights reserved.