May 10-16: National Skilled Nursing Care Week — Sharing Their Wisdom in Time of Coronavirus
“Sharing Our Wisdom” is the 2020 theme for National Skilled Nursing Care Center Week¹. Given the current pandemic and the danger it poses to seniors, there is an even greater reason this year to share information and wisdom. By now, most centers should have procedures in place as the coronavirus pandemic continues to be a threat to seniors and others in their care.
What words of wisdom can those who work at the centers and those who are residents continue to share in keeping safe during this challenging time?
According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), nursing care center workers should keep the following in mind:
- Stay home if you are sick and notify your supervisors if you become sick outside of work hours. If you become sick while at the facility or on the premises, put on a facemask, leave immediately, and notify your supervisor.²
- Maintain a social distance of at least six feet from residents whenever possible. Outside of work, avoid contact with persons who have symptoms of COVID-19.²
How can residents continue to protect themselves? The AHCA (American Healthcare Association) suggests the following:
- Remember to continue to wash hands frequently.³
- Ask other individuals (including staff) to avoid touching you with handshakes, hugs, or kisses. Ask them to wash their hands. Do not be shy! It’s okay to remind people.³
- If you begin to experience difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, tell a staff member immediately.³
We at Graham-Field enthusiastically support employees and residents of nursing care facilities! Our friendly, well-trained customer service and technical support staff are available through most of the day to answer product questions and assist with any of the Graham-Field products you may have at your facility, concerning maintenance or other issues. Feel free to call us at 1.770.368.4700 or email us at email@example.com.
Also, nursing care center owners and administrators, did you know our Basic American division offers free extended care interior design services, in case you want to make any updates or additions in the future when it is safe to do so? When things get back to a more normal pace of life, be sure to ask us about visiting our 10,000 square foot showroom and Design Center in Atlanta, Georgia.
Sharing wisdom is needed now more than ever! Let’s all share the facts we know and help each other get through this difficult time.
Explore the Following Resources to Find Helpful Information for Workers, Residents, and Families:
Activities for residents: https://www.ahcancal.org/events/national_skilled_nursing_care_week/Pages/Suggested%20Activities.aspx
Questions to ask the facility where your loved one may be staying: https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/health/info-2020/questions-for-quarantined-facility.html?intcmp=AE-HP-TTN-R4-POS2-REALPOSS-TODAY
The information offered here is not medical advice and is not intended to replace guidance offered by your medical professionals.
- Sharing our Wisdom, National Skilled Nursing Care Week, American Healthcare Association. https://www.ahcancal.org/events/national_skilled_nursing_care_week/Pages/default.aspx
- Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Retirement Communities and Independent Living Facilities (Interim Guidance), CDC.
- Combatting Coronavirus: Our Fight To Protect Seniors & Individuals with Disabilities in Long Term Care, American Healthcare Association. https://www.ahcancal.org/facility_operations/disaster_planning/Pages/Coronavirus.aspx
About GF Health Products, Inc.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, with more than 300 US-based employees, GF Health Products, Inc. is a major manufacturer of healthcare products for the acute care, extended care, homecare and primary care markets. Graham-Field product brands include Basic American Medical Products, Everest & Jennings, Grafco, Hausted, Intensa, John Bunn, Labtron, Lumex and Lumiscope. Visit www.grahamfield.com or call 1.770.368.4700.