Homecare Dealers: Protecting Stay-at-Home Seniors
As our seniors shelter in place during the coronavirus pandemic, the homecare dealer has some challenges to face as they strive to protect the stay-at-home senior during this difficult time. To protect their older clients, homecare dealers will need to make sure they are protecting themselves as well as their employees, especially staff members that deliver equipment to the stay-at-home senior.
The American Association for Homecare (AAHomecare)* recommends the following for dealers as they deal with the COVID-19 virus:
- Keep a clean workplace and provide prevention supplies to employees (soap, hand sanitizer, gloves, etc.).
- Stay engaged and communicate with employees on COVID-19 precautions and emergency operations.
- Review processes to ensure minimal multi-patient contact.
- Educate delivery employees: At each visit, ask the patient (and family/friends) if they have traveled to the COVID-19 infected countries within the last 14 days; if they had contact with someone that contracted COVID-19; and if they are experiencing any symptoms. Properly put on and take off disposable masks and gloves. Limit close contact with others. Be aware of contact with objects, surfaces, and people. Wash or sanitize hands before and after delivery. Require staff to stay home when sick.
- Equipment Pick-Up and Cleaning Considerations: Clean and disinfect equipment using cleaners with bleach, alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol, or other disinfectants approved by the EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency).** Develop guidelines for when equipment should and should not be picked up. Equipment exposed to the virus should not be put on the same truck as equipment that is ready to be dispensed to other patients. Develop protocol on handling equipment that needs picked up – spray, bag, and tag before putting in a truck.
- AAHomecare continues, “The COVID-19 outbreak poses a unique threat to the safety of individuals in our industry and additional significant challenges if the number of individuals needing care at home grows rapidly. We urge you to take careful precautions to protect yourselves and your colleagues from exposure so our industry can continue to serve the patients who depend on us – perhaps now, more than ever.”
We here at Graham-Field are here for you at this most challenging time for you and your business.
Please feel free to reach out to us at 1.770.368.4700 or email@example.com if there is anything we can do to assist you. From your online account to product information, we want to help you through this time.
Homecare dealers face a unique situation; they can provide the equipment needed to help our stay-at-home seniors, but the coronavirus pandemic requires that they keep their employees and clients safe.
With extra thought and planning, homecare dealers can make it safely through the coronavirus pandemic while protecting our stay-at-home seniors.
About GF Health Products, Inc.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, with more than 300 US-based employees, GF Health Products, Inc. is a major manufacturer of healthcare products for the acute care, extended care, homecare and primary care markets. Graham-Field product brands include Basic American Medical Products, Everest & Jennings, Grafco, Hausted, Intensa, John Bunn, Labtron, Lumex and Lumiscope. Visit www.grahamfield.com or call 1.770.368.4700.