Cheers! Pass the Pain Relief! Happy Fa-La-La!
Why is it that the holiday season brings out the crazy in all of us? That crazy creates many forms of pain. As a mom, I can get soooo overwhelmed! One particular day I was carrying my toddler grandson on my hip while my head swam dementedly with my holiday to-do list, and I missed my step while moving into the patio room.
The foot and ankle pain was immediate and intense! (No worry, my grandson was OK.) Considering the pain, I knew the holiday months were going to be affected. I was so mad at myself! I could not move; my back and legs were frozen. I knew if I didn’t tend to it, I’d be immobile and unable to conquer the huge mountain of tasks ahead. Not going to work, not preparing for the holidays, not picking family up from the airport, and not wrapping all those presents? Simply not possible! And I had a toy train set to assemble in the living room! My brain didn’t stop.
The United States is in the grip of a dangerous and deadly opioid epidemic. How can you avoid opioid use?
You don’t always have to take prescription pills to feel better — there are healthy alternatives.
Consider the Following Alternative Treatments:
- Your in-laws driving you crazy? A cold wrap can help with that pounding headache. Your back sore from all that traveling? A moist heat therapy pack can loosen those painful muscles.
You’d be amazed at how helpful just 20 minutes of hot/cold therapy can be.
Yoga and Stretching
- Yoga. Yup, grandma can still kick that leg up high with a smile on her face. Yoga, a brain-body exercise that employs breath control, meditation, and movement, has been used to treat pain for thousands of years. It is a unique exercise form in that it combines both mental and physical fitness. Yoga has been especially successful in the treatment of lower back pain and it only takes a few minutes.
Herbal and Over-the-Counter Remedies
- These days, there are many herbal remedies to help relieve pain, help you relax, help you fall asleep faster … consult your doctor for ideas.
- And over-the-counter medications can also help.
- A little compression can help with so many ailments like varicose vein pain, plantar fasciitis, neuromas, knee injuries and so much more. Compression sleeves, compression socks, compression bandages, compression masks …
Living through the holidays well can be a serious challenge. Many of us take it upon ourselves to work extra hours to provide a happy holiday for everyone in the family, including food (holiday dinners, cookies, special holiday baked traditions) presents (often planned and hunted for months before), and a beautiful day of happy memories. It’s no wonder we’re exhausted, stressed, and in pain.
Give yourself permission this holiday season not to push yourself to the limit — stop and smell the evergreens, enjoy your loved ones, put your feet up for once and celebrate the season with your favorite people. Just take a “chill pill”.
The information offered here is not medical advice and is not intended to replace guidance offered by your medical professionals.
Amy Boughner is a Technical Writer at Graham-Field.
About GF Health Products, Inc.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, with more than 300 US-based employees, GF Health Products, Inc. is a major manufacturer of healthcare products for the acute care, extended care, homecare and primary care markets. The Graham-Field family of brands includes Basic American Medical Products, Everest & Jennings, Grafco, Hausted, John Bunn, Labtron, Lumex and Lumiscope. Visit www.grahamfield.com or call 770-368-4700. Basic American Medical Products and Graham-Field are trademarks of GF Health Products, Inc. © 2017, GF Health Products, Inc., all rights reserved